8 Tips On How To Do A Liver Detox
Rachel Kay is a Holistic & Functional Nutritionist with a passion in helping people become the healthiest and happiest versions of themselves. In this blog, Rachel gives us some top tips on how to support your liver, understanding its vital role and how to nurture it. You can follow Rachel on Instagram and find out more about her services on her website.
How does the liver work?
The liver is one of our body's hardest-working organs, performing a multitasking role in our wellbeing. Not only is it our primary detoxification organ, but it also produces bile to aid in fat digestion, metabolises nutrients, synthesises proteins, and stores vitamins and minerals.
Additionally, it balances hormone levels, bolsters the immune system, regulates blood composition, produces cholesterol, filters toxins, and converts harmful ammonia into urea for safe elimination.
What happens to the liver when we drink alcohol & eat sugar?
Factors such as excessive alcohol, chemicals in everyday products, certain medications, and a diet rich in sugar and processed foods can overburden it. When overwhelmed, the liver struggles to process everything efficiently — akin to a traffic jam where too many lanes merge into one, leading to congestion. This can result in hormones like oestrogen not being broken down properly, recirculating in the body and potentially leading to symptoms such as heavy periods, anxiety, weight gain, bloating, mood swings, hair loss, and tender breasts.
How to do a liver detox?
The word "detox" has unfortunately been associated with extreme practices such as fasting for days or a green juice diet. You don't need to go to extreme measures to detox, your body naturally detoxifies every day. We can however support the liver in its job of removing harmful toxins out of the body, especially after the festive season.
Top Tips for Liver Support
1. Hydration: Keeping hydrated assists your liver in flushing out toxins. Aim for 2-3 litres of filtered water daily, with a pinch of salt to aid in mineral absorption and enhance hydration.
2. Lemon Water Ritual: Begin your day with warm lemon water. This simple habit can help stimulate your liver first thing in the morning.
3. Nutrition: Embrace liver-supporting foods like cruciferous vegetables (broccoli,
cauliflower, kale, etc.), leafy greens, and fermented foods. Choose organic or spray-free produce to lessen toxin intake. Minimise sugar, refined starches, and processed foods in your diet.
4. Mindful Drinking: Opt for non-alcoholic beverages like kombucha, mocktails, or an organic tea like Nurtur transformed into a refreshing iced tea, avoiding the added sugars and preservatives found in store-bought versions.
5. Herbal Helpers: Incorporate herbs such as milk thistle, dandelion root, turmeric, ginger, neem, and chamomile, all known for their liver-supporting properties. These herbs contain compounds that can help maintain liver health.
6. Daily Detox: Be mindful of your daily exposure to potential toxins. Choose alternatives to plastic bottles, synthetic fragrances, non-stick cookware, and conventional makeup and cleaning products.
7. Active Lifestyle: Regular physical activity helps maintain a healthy weight and supports liver function.
8. Stress Management: Engage in relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation, and soothing baths. Sip on herbal teas like Calm by Nutur, which can help lower cortisol levels, benefiting not just your liver but your overall health.
These tips are not just for maintaining liver health; they're for enhancing your overall wellbeing.
By taking these steps, you can help ensure your liver functions at its best, supporting you in turn. Embrace these habits, and listen to your body — it's the best guide to your health.